LinkedIn is one of the best social media platforms for business from the access to top level decision makers to finding capital and resources for your business. Today I wanted to show you how you can use LinkedIn in your business and 5 easy steps to improving traction on your LinkedIn account.
1. Your Linkedin Profile – The first step is to modify your LinkedIn profile so that people who are looking for your kind of talent should find your profile easily. For that, you need to make your LinkedIn profile very friendly to how people will find you – using keyword searches. For example, most of the time if you own a company, you tend to write that you are the founder or owner. That is great however, the people who are searching for your talent like the Lawyer or Realtor, will put the keywords “realtor” in the search engine. If you don’t have these words in your profile, they will not be able to find your profile in the list. Make sure your profile is keyword rich (words people will search for you – from their perspective)
2. Provide a reason to connect with you – So, you have updated your profile with your expertise and now your profile is getting into the lists that you want to be found in. Now here is the rub. There are many other profiles, which are also showing in those lists with the great keywords you just created. How do you get the edge over the other people in those searches? Create a compelling headline which will get their attention and almost force them to click on your profile first, because it catches their eye. Take time and write a dramatic compelling headline which includes the 1 or 2 keywords that are used in normal search engine results, like “real estate” or “realtor”
3. Summary – the next step is to write a Summary. So a prospect has visited your profile. Now, to keep them here and not have them leave quickly, your page should describe in their minds what they are looking for and show your credibility in fulfilling them. As an example, being a social media marketer, you can imagine the amount of other people in the same line of work. Some really good and some not so much. Once they land on my profile, instead of “Winston grew up in Mexico.. (rest of my life and business story)” I would suggest you think of WHY those people are looking at your profile. You should know this by now. Mine would be they are looking for social media training or marketing. So my Summary talks about their needs and how I can help.
(see my profile here)
You an also add in a video in this section which is excellent marketing. So remember, most of the people try to write their autobiography in this Summary. Always remember that the prospect who is visiting your page is very busy and they just would like to know that you have the sufficient ability/talent/skill to fulfill their needs. In short, the summary should be client-focused Otherwise, you are going to get just hits on your page and nothing to show for it.Then,
4. Increasing network connections –Ok, you have modified your profile and your Summary. Now it is time to increase your network connection to increase your business. Aim to make connections, much like real networking, with people that are aligned with your business. If you are realtor, you may not need to connect to another realtor profile.
5. Following up with the new connections – It is not enough to find new connections, however you should keep in touch at times on regular basis. What I suggest to at least have them remember you, is that when someone accepts your connection request or connects with you, send him/her a Welcome or Thank you message. I strongly suggest that you offer them something of value for free, as it will be an excellent gesture. I include a $47 Value social media teleseminar I did last year as my gift (see my profile here)
6. Regular updates – As often as possible (minimum 1 time per week) update the Status on LinkedIn regarding in your business life or related articles to your business in order to engage people in your network
LinkedIn is a great business (social) network website where if you are able to utilize all the features of the website including the 5 tips above, you will increase your business.
Enjoyed this post? If so, please share on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest to let your friends know about it. Your help spreading the word would be really appreciated.